A WITCH’S PERSONAL MANIFESTO
The following personal manifesto was presented by Paul V. Beyerl to the 1987 Harvest Moon Celebration in Woodland Hills, California. It was in no way written to represent a set of laws to govern the behavior of others, but only as an open discussion of personal ethics to provoke thought and communication.
A WITCH’S PERSONAL MANIFESTO demands these things as a Witch:
– I must pursue my Highest Ideals
– I must strive to elevate my ethics
– I must be as good as my word
– I must demand integrity of myself
– I must be willing to suffer for my religion
– I must willingly embrace discipline
– I must develop financial responsibility and independence
– I must be able to pay my bills
– I must pay attention to my diet & intake of food
– I must LIVE the Hermetic Principle
– I must respect the astral
– I must approach ritual with great care
– I must see ritual work as a disciplined art form
– I must consider seriously the ramifications of reincarnation
– I must conserve fuels
– I must recycle whenever possible
– I must not litter, not even a cigarette butt
– I must avoid negative energy, even within my own thoughts
– I must avoid placing blame for any of the events in my life
– I must take responsibility for my ill health
– I must take myself seriously
– I must have humor
– I must live with my eyes open and my feet grounded
I demand these things of myself as a member of the Wiccan Community:
– I must support the work of making Wicca a respected religion
– I must expect financial accountability from those groups to which I donate
– I must stop the mockery of other religions (including anti-Christian sentiment
sometimes found in modern Paganism)
– I must not support religious plagiarism (such as the teaching of shamanism by
those who have never experienced the wilderness nor studied from a real
– I must be respectful of all other’s ritual forms
– I must separate myths and reality in our history and in our future
– I must work to contribute towards a reputable public image of Wicca
– I must protest against pagans who use shock tactics in dealing with the public
– I must upgrade standards of Wiccan education
– I must support serious research of our religious heritage
– I must demand quality in pagan literature, newsletters and books
– I must support the assembling of libraries
– I must not be a religious isolationist and I must work to remove pagan ghetto
mentalities from our communities
– I must demand provocative, challenging workshops over entertainment
– I must share my knowledge and skills
– I must make Initiations increasingly difficult, challenging and rewarding
– I must consider the amount of education other religions expect of their clergy
when planning Wiccan training
– I must be willing to network
– I must remain in contact with pagans in other places
I demand these things of myself as a Priest/ess:
– I must prepare for the deaths and burials of our peoples
– I must provide for the future of my consecrated tools beyond my physical death
– I must work towards the establishment of legal ministries
– I must provide for children and their education
– I must provide for the survival of my Tradition
I demand these things of myself as a Wiccan citizen:
– I must promote community service, being of help to all peoples regardless of
– I must be willing to be political
– I must be a knowledgeable, active voter
– I must respect and utilize the system
– I must find value in the political system in which I live or work actively to
– I must be aware of the world perspective
– I must extend myself to world poverty and hunger
Be Careful Of What You Wish For
As time goes on, you will discover that anything spoken with awareness and intent can be powerful. The more you learn, the more knowledge and experience you acquire as a spellcaster, the more power you bring to bear on your everyday life. Spellcasting trains you to create change at will, using the energy available to you. If you are careless, then the change you have not thought through can occur in response to your words and actions. As you’ve read, the spoken word is an important element in the “as above, so below” relationship, representing bringing a thought or desire, which exist on the mental plane, into manifestation on the material plane. The spoken word alone carries great power as a spell or as a technique to raise energy. The more experience you gain in this sort of application of energy, the more you will develop your abilities, and your words will carry greater and greater significance.
It may sound like a cliché, but with greater power come greater responsibility. Be aware of what you say and how you say it. Make every word count, both in spellcasting and in your daily life.
The Charge to New Initiates
O Thou who hast declared intent to become one of us, hear then that which thou must know to do: Single is the race, single of men and of Gods, from a single source we both draw breath, but a difference of power in everything keeps us apart, for we are as nothing but the Gods stay forever. Yet we can, in greatness of minds, be like the Gods. Though we know not to what goal by day or in the night, Fate has written that we shall run beyond all seas, and earth’s last boundaries. Beyond the Spring of night and the Heaven’s vast expanse there lies a majesty which is the domain of the Gods. Those who would pass through the Gates of Night and Day to that sweet place, which is between the world of men and the domains of the Lords of the Outer Spaces, know that unless there is truth in thy heart, thy every effort is doomed to failure.
HEAR THEN THE LAW: That thou lovest all things in nature. That thou walkest humbly in the ways of men and the ways of the Gods. Also it is the law that contentment thou shalt learn, through suffering, and from long years, and from nobility of mind and of purpose.
FOR THE WISE NEVER GROW OLD. Their minds are nourished by living in the daylight of the Gods and if among the vulgar some discoveries should arise concerning some maxims of thy belief in the Gods so do thou, for the most part, keep silent. For there is a great risk of those who straightaway vomit up that which they hast not digested. And when someone shall say to thee, thou knowest naught and it bites thee naught, then knowest thou that thou hast begun the work. And as sheep do not bring their food to the shepherd to show how much they have eaten but digesting inwardly their provender do bear outwardly wool and milk, even so, do not display the maxims to the vulgar, but rather the works that flow when they are digested
What do the elements mean?
The Guardians are the 4 corners Earth, Air, Fire, and Water
(Christian belief may be called the 4 horsemen)
The Elements are named: Uriel, Michael, Raphael, and Gabriel
Air: Compass point: East. Number: 1.
Represents intellect, communication, knowledge, concentration; the ability
to “know” and to understand; to unlock secrets of the dead; to contact the
angels; telepathy, memory and wisdom; the hawk, the raven and the eagle;
prophecy; movement, Karma and speed
Fire: Compass point: South. Number 3 .
Stands for energy, purification, courage, the will to dare,creativity;
higher self; success and refinement; the arts and transformation; the lion,
the phoenix and the dragon; loyalty and force.
Water: Compass point: West. Number: 2 .
Associated with intuition, emotions, the inner self, flowing movement, the
power to dare and cleanse all things; sympathy and love; reflection;
currents and tides of life; the dolphin, the swan and the crab; dreams and
Earth: Compass point: North. Number: 4.
Mystery and growth, fertility, material abundance, the combined forces of
nature and its bounty; birth and healing; business, industry and
possessions; the bear, the stag and the wolf; conservation and nature.
If you call all four at once you always call East, South, West, North.
After you call them and do what you need with them, you must dismiss them
just the opposite as you call them.
The Elements have been a part of man’s ancient and arcane lore since its
inception in pre-historic times. Different traditions associate them with
various things. The following list of correspondences comes from Starhawk’s
“The Spiral Dance.”
Rules: The mind, all mental, intuitive and psychic work, knowledge, abstract
learning, theory, windswept hills, plains, windy beaches, high mountain peaks,
high towers, wind and breath.
Colors: White, bright yellow, crimson, blue-white.
Signs of the Zodiac: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius.
Tools: Athame, sword, censer.
Spirits: Sylphs, ruled by King Paralda.
Name of the East Wind: Eurus.
Plants: Frankincense, myrrh, pansy, primrose, vervain, violet, yarrow.
Goddesses: Aradia, Arianrhod, Cardea, Nuit, Urania.
Gods: Enlil, Khephera, Mercury, Shu, Thoth.
Rules: Energy, spirit, heat, flame, blood, sap, life, will, healing and
destroying, purification, bonfires, hearth fires, candle flames,
sun, deserts, volcanoes, eruptions, explosions.
Colors: Red, gold, crimson, orange, white (the sun’s noon light).
Signs of the Zodiac: Aries, Leo, Saggitarius.
Tools: Censer, wand.
Spirits: Salamanders, ruled by King Djin.
Name of the South Wind: Notus.
Jewel: Fire Opal.
Plants: Garlic, hibiscus, mustard, nettle, onion, red peppers, red poppies.
Tree: Almond, in flower.
Animals: Fire-breathing dragons, lions, horses (when their hooves strike
Goddesses: Brigit, Hestia, Pele, Vesta.
Gods: Agni, Hephaestus, Horus, Vulcan.
Rules: Emotions, feelings, love, courage, daring, sorrow, the ocean, the tides,
lakes, pools, streams, and rivers, springs and wells, intuition, the unconscious
mind, the womb, generation, fertility.
Colors: Blue, blue-green, green, gray, indigo, black.
Signs of the Zodiac: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces.
Spirits: Undines, ruled by King Niksa.
Name of the West Wind: Zephyrus.
Plants: Ferns, lotus, mosses, rushes, seaweed, water lillies, and all water
Animals: Dragons (as serpents), dolphins and porpoises, fish, seals and sea
mammals, water-dwelling snakes, all water creatures and sea birds.
Goddesses: Aphrodite, Isis, Mariamne, Mari, Tiamat.
Gods: Dylan, Ea, Llyr, Manannan, Osiris, Neptune, Poseidon.
Rules: The body, growth, nature, sustenance, material gain, money, creativity,
birth, death, silence, chasms, caves, caverns, groves, fields, rocks, standing
stones, mountains, crystal, jewels, metal.
Colors: Black, brown, green, white.
Signs of the Zodiac: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn.
Spirits: Gnomes, ruled by King Ghob.
Name of the North Wind: Boreas, Ophion.
Jewel: Rock crystal, salt.
Plants: Comfrey, ivy, grains:barley, oats, corn, rice, rye, wheat.
Animals: Coworbull, bison, snakes (earth-dwelling), stag.
Goddesses: Ceres, Demeter, Geae, Mah, Nephthys, Persephone, Prithivi, Rhea,
Gods: Adonis, Athos, Arawn, Cernunnos, Dionysus, Marduk, Pan, Tammuz.SPIRIT /
Direction: Center and circumference, throughout and about.
Rules: Transcendence, tranformation, change, everywhere and nowhere, within and
without, the void, immanence.
Time: Beyond time, all time is one.
Season: The turning wheel.
Colors: Clear, white, black.
Tree: The flowering almond.
Goddesses: Isis, the Secret Name of the Goddess, Shekinah.
Gods: Akasha, IAO, JHVH.
INVOKING THE ELEMENTS
This is the air, oh people; these are the creatures:
Far-flying Goose; far-seeing Hawk;
Owl who knows; Raven who talks;
Crane who dances; Thrush who sings;
Quail the humble; Wren the king;
Lark who revels; Loon who weeps;
Jay who scatters; Buzzard reaps.
This is the air I conjure, and this is the birth of the world.
This is the fire, oh people; these are the creatures:
Drake who hoards; Kirin who gives;
Angel heals; Chimera reaves;
Coal the slow; lightning the quick;
Salamander, power’s wick;
Soul who praises; Gryphon scorns;
Phoenix dies and is reborn.
This is the fire I conjure, and this is the birth of the world.
This is the sea, oh people; these are the creatures:
Whale who chants; Dolphin who speaks;
Clam content; Salmon who seeks;
Pike who rages; Shark who mourns;
Walrus steadies; Carp transforms;
Seal who gathers; Crab the lone;
Otter wave-borne; Eel in stone;
This is the sea I conjure, and this is the birth of the world.
This is the earth, oh people; these are the creatures:
Deer who worries; Boar who schemes;
Cat who conjures; Sheep who dreams;
Hare the playful; Brock the stern;
Mouse who teaches; Horse who learns;
Wolf who wanders; Bear who stays;
Stag who guards; Puma who preys.
This is the earth I conjure, and this is the birth of the world.
INVOCATION OF THE ELEMENTS
Air, Fire, Water, Earth,
Elements of Astral birth,
I call you now; attend to me!
In the circle, rightly cast,
Safe from psychic curse or blast,
I call you now, attend to me!
From cave and desert, sea and hill,
By blade and wand, cup and pentacle,
I call you now; attend to me!
This is my will, so mote it be!
[This invocation may be chanted while moving or dancing around the altar to raise elemental energy for magickal workings.]
CORRESPONDENCES OF THE CENTER
Color: Pure White (violet, black)
Eternity Season: The Turning Wheel
Animal: Sphinx, Swan, Dragonfly King Math Mathonwy
Goddess Aspects :Isis, Shekhinah
God Aspects: Akasha, Iao
Power: To Evolve, To Progress (ire)
Magical Aspects: Aura, Transcendence, Transformation, Change, Everywhere and Nowhere, The Void