Your Rune for Today
era denotes positive, recurring cycles, fertility and a time to harvest rewards from your hard work.
Additional information about Today’s Rune, Jera
jera : year, harvest
Phonetic equivalent: y (but may be used in place of ‘j’)
- DIVINATORY MEANINGS: change, cycle turning, reward, motion, productivity, inevitable development
- MAGICAL USES: to bring change; for fertility and growth
- ASSOCIATED MYTHS & DEITIES: Sif, Thor, Freyr, Granni
- ANALYSIS: In this modern age of central heating and oranges in February, it is difficult to imagine the close ties that people once had with the cycles of the year, particularly in the more Northern climes. The changing seasons affected not only the weather, but also the day to day activities and even the diets of ancient peoples. Constant change was the norm, and the object was to become attuned with those changes, not to fight against them. An ancient farmer (or even some modern ones) wouldn’t need to look at a calendar to tell him when to plant, or read a weather forecast to know when the snows were coming. The changing seasons were a part of his blood and bones, and his very existence depended on adapting to change.
- Jera follows isa just as spring follows winter. The frozen stagnancy of ice is broken by the turning of the wheel, and things are once again moving along as they should. In fact, we have now broken out of the entire set ‘negative’ runes with which we began this aett. This has been accomplished not by fighting to escape the ice or railing against the unfairness of fate, but by learning from those experiences and simply waiting for the inevitable thaw. Jera is the communion wine – the product of the joining of opposites bringing life. Storms may come and go, but the sun is always there and life is generally pretty good. Enjoy it while you can.